Counselling (Individual / Couple)
Have you ever thought of going for counselling and then discarded the thought about it?
Here are some common reasons people avoid going to therapy.
1. They feel counsellor cannot help them.
2. Feeling embarrassed due to their ego or self-image.
3. It’s a way to escape from their problems.
4. Lack of finance to pay for it.
5. Fear of judgement from others. What if people start to gossip and label you as” Crazy”?
6. Feeling awkward to talk about your problems to some stranger(Counsellor)
7. Doubt about counsellors ability to help you.
Counselling is a wonderful way to get help to process your unprocessed emotions, get clarity, get to know yourself better, clear up mental clutter, find your answers. It is a great way to recover from emotional and psychological issues.
Going for counselling does not mean you are not capable enough to handle your life. It means you are committed and serious about making your life better.
Signs that you should seek counselling:
1. Negative mindset.
2. Anxiety attacks/Panic attacks
4. Being in an unresolved situation for a long time
5. Not leading a content life
6. Need some Direction/Perspective
7. You feel Low/ Depressed
8. You feel unmotivated
9. Loss of interest in everything
10. Feeling irrational/ Snappy
11. You feel isolated
12. You get affected by what people think about you
13. You avoid going to events/places
14. You don’t have friends
15. Something is bothering you inside for along timer some recent event has affected you
16. You experienced some traumatic events
17. Not able to let go of something
18. You get the thoughts of self-harm
19. You have a negative image of yourself/ You Don’t like yourself
20. You feel stressed
23. Lack of self Love/ Self Esteem
24. Experiencing grief due to loss of loved one
25. Coping with Divorce/ Breakup
26. Difficult marriage
27. Issues with kids/ family members
Why should you choose to counselling?
Counselling will allow you to have a safe space for you to freely express your emotions and feelings. Since the counsellor does not know you personally, you can talk about anything without fear of judgement.
When you feel free to express yourself, you are able to see the problem from a different perspective and find your own solutions sometimes which you weren’t able to find before due to constant fear of judgement.
You can benefit from a fresh perspective from someone who is dealing with many people like you in a similar situation. You will be made to feel that you’re not alone experiencing the problem you are facing and will be supported in the right ways.
Sometimes you don’t want to talk to your family and friends because you do not want them to worry about you. In this case, bottling up emotions can do harm to you and your family. Counselling provides you with an emotional outlet where you can feel safe while taking care of your loved ones.
Sometimes you feel misunderstood by your family and friends due to their preconceived notions about you or their overprotective nature or just simply their inability to understand you.
Counselling can help not only to regulate your emotions but also how to deal with complicated and delicate relationships in your life.
When you go for counselling, you are more in control of your emotions and feelings which leads you to better handle your critical situations in life. All your bottled up emotions are released in a counselling session and your mind becomes more clear and you can see the situation from a better perspective.
Counselling helps you to express difficult emotions which normally is not taught in some cultures. You learn many skills of communication, coping with anxiety, grief etc through various different techniques by your counsellor.
Types of Counselling
1. Individual Counselling
It’s done one on one with the counsellor. Sometimes your spouse is not ready to come for a counselling session. In that case, even if you take counselling can help you cope with difficult circumstances.
2. Couples counselling
For couples going through a rough phase in their relationship, counselling helps them find ways through various techniques, perspectives to connect with each other and find a fulfilling relationship back in their lives.
3. Group Counselling
For issues related to kids, friends, colleagues, family members, group counselling helps to bridge the gap between people, resolve issues, find better ways to communicate, help each other to understand and form an understanding relationship.
Finding the right therapist for yourself is extremely important.
There are many different therapists who practice different healing modalities to heal you. The hardest part of therapy is to make the first call to the therapist.
It is said that if you want to reach the tenth floor through stairs, you need to start with the first step. Then you take the second step and then step by step you reach the tenth floor. Same way, taking the first step of calling a therapist is an extremely crucial step towards your good mental, emotional and psychological health.
Duration: 60 minutes
Subscribe to Aashima Bhatia’s newsletter!
Terms & Conditions
Subscribe to Aashima Bhatia’s newsletter!